cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Voting on releases?
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:18:00 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 21 mars 06 à 18:42, Jean-Baptiste Quenot a écrit :
>
>> ...Is there a  rule requiring new releases to be  first approved by a
>> vote?...
>
> Maybe not, but we've been doing it this way for about 25 years and it
> works ;-)
>
> Seriously, making sure we agree on release plans (code freeze dates
> etc.) is a Good Thing - I've seen several projects arguing or
> disagreeing on releases, so it's certainly good to be a bit careful and
> to make sure everyone is on the same page.
>
> It doesn't cost much and there are at least  "social" benefits.
>
> So, +1 for voting on release plans ;-)

A release is the primary output of a PMC on behalf of the ASF. You could
say that producing releases is what a project exists for. So releases
_can not_ be done without a vote, with PMC member's votes being the
binding ones. And probably new releases, once done, should be noted to
the board in a quarterly board report.

There you go. That's the Bureaucracy of it.

Regards, Upayavira