cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cleanup trunk directory structure
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:50:24 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>

>>I know, but IIRC Giacomo told the directory name is not important for
>>jar generation since there is a directive in pom.xml to change the jar
>>name. Looking at the current trunk the "cocoon-" prefix create a lot of
>>"noise". And this is why I am asking again if this is the best way we
>>can go. ;-)
>>

> Yes <finalName/> allows you to control the artifact name.
>
> The reason why we've named these directories was that in continuum there
> is a mapping between the module name and the repository directory name.
>
> So if you declare in a top level module pom
>
> <modules>
>    <module>cocoon-apples</module>
> </modules>
>
> and
>
> <scm>
> <connection>scm:svn:http://repo/trunk</connection>
> </scm>
>
> then continuum will resolve the checkout path for moduleA as
> http://repo/trunk/cocoon-apples.
>
> Now at the time i did not take the possibility of using <finalName/>
> into account. Advice from the maven guys was module-name=module-location
> so that's what i went for.
>
> I suggest that before we decide to go for this approach, someone
> experiments with this layout and tests continuum and eclipse-plugin
> integration (they are the most picky with module poms) and reports back
> before we start another mass rename.
>
> Either way i'm not too bothered at all by a repo structure with "noise".
> Maven is there to help you not having to look at the repo structure in
> it's totality.

In one of my projects we had problems when artifactId and directory name were
different, now I remember.

I hesitate to change it as "working against the system or recommendations" can
be very frustrating and after daily using M2 for about 3 months I know that it's
best to follow every recommendation that you can get. Often when I tried
something different (e.g. not putting the Java sources into ./src/main/java but
somewhere else causes problems in some reporting plugins) I got problems.

Can somebody ask a M2 expert (IRC, dev@maven,  etc), if it is really save to use
the <finalName/> element for JAR artifacts?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc