cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] a simple release plan
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:48:39 GMT
Hi,

Tim Williams wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

>> The overhead for people to work on trunk is that trunk is largely
>> unknown. It is my perception that many people have little confidence
>> that trunk actually works. Fear that it will change frequently, and that
>> they will have to invest a lot of effort (time which they don't have) in
>> order to keep up.

Upayavira, trunk will always change frequently (it's development HEAD
after all). I think the real problem is that no-one has a "30 second
overview of 2.2". Something like "It's still the same Cocoon, it's not
much different for users, it's just easier to build and more
extensible". Some anti-FUD, if you like ;-)

There's also the problem Tim refers to:

> I was willing to climb a Maven learning curve, but I
> lost confidence when I tried to build, say 4 times, and it succeeds
> one time out of 4 for some unknown reason even though I didn't change
> anything in between builds - simply built one after another.

I've dealt with the maven curve on several other projects, but imho
there's a _serious_ problem with m2 and the constant network timeouts
when trying to build Cocoon. Until there's a workable solution for this,
I think there'll be a continued perception that 2.2 is broken, even
though the code itself is fine.

As for the 2.3 idea, since I'm commenting anyway ... I think the
overhead of syncing will mean that 2.2 and 2.1 will suffer. Whether the
suffering is worse than the problems with 2.2, I wouldn't like to say.

Thanks,

Andrew.
Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/