cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] a simple release plan
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:44:21 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> <SNIP/>
>
> Not surprisingly I'm -1 on your points 2 and 3. If you want to continue
> in that direction which IMO represents a huge step back. I insist on
> that you prove that it work and that you actually have the persistence
> to carry it through, on a copy of the trunk in the whiteboard. After
> that you need to cast a vote about making that the new trunk.
>
> Also it should be much easier to update the Ant scripts than changing
> the directory structure.
>
> Anyway, why you would like to make such a huge effort in such an
> backward pointing direction, instead of helping to finish the blocks
> work or at least the M10N, is just beyond my imagination.

Daniel, as I already said, I appreciate your efforts and blocks are the
way to go, no doubt. I can only speak for myself, but I see two
advantages of the plan for me (and hopefully for others as well):
smaller changes and getting new features today. I rewrote the core for
2.2 nearly two years ago and it never went into a release! The same with
ECM++, the configuration includes, the property configurations etc. Now,
we dropped ECM++ in favour of the Spring based container which provides
the same functionality plus Spring. And it makes totally sense to me to
release this as a new version.
There is not much work required for this: if we replace the maven build
with the ant one, we should have a fully working 2.2 with all the new
features. So we only have to move/copy some directories and files and
that's it.
Speaking for myself again, I can do this stuff as I know how to
move/copy directories and I now how the 2.2 core works and I'm pretty
confident that it's working pretty well. But I have no clue about blocks
or how to finish the maven build. Remember, I suggested a solution two
weeks ago to get a maven build running, but was told that this is the
wrong way and we should wait for blocks. And I don't have time to invest
into blocks or maven right now. That's the simple reason for not being
able to help. In addition, the current new core with Spring solves all
my day-to-day problems I have with Cocoon. So why not getting this out?
And I can't work any further on the core as this always breaks the
blocks stuff, as you kindly pointed out. So the blocks stuff is blocking
the core development - but the blocking in this place is not really the
problem.

It seems to me that our community is a little bit "feature-split" atm.
One group wants new features today while the other group wants real
blocks today. I can't tell who's right or wrong and I guess it's unfair
to talk about right/wrong in this context anyway. But I can tell what I
want and more important I know what I can do and where I can help.
Getting a 2.3 out with the proposed plan is doable in the short term imho.

Carsten