cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] a simple release plan
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:27:19 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> The blocks FUD
> ==============
>
> I'd like to remind once again that the blocks work doesn't destabilize
> the traditional use of Cocoon the slightest, see
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=114073731515724&w=2. It
> just cannot affect that as there are no dependencies from the
> "traditional" parts to the blocks fw whatsoever. Concerning the OSGi
> stuff it is not even part of the build yet.
>
> So the idea that the block work should hinder anyone to work as usual is
> just plain wrong.
>
> M10N
> ====
>
> What hinder people to work as usual is that the M10N isn't finished. Now
> it isn't that hard to use Cocoon anyway as I described in the reference
> above. But of course it would be nicer to be able to use Cocoon with
> some blocks OOTB. If you don't want to take part in working on the
> blocks fw and deployer and is impatient, it wouldn't be that hard to
> write a plugin or an Ant task called from Maven that does the file
> copying that is described in the reference above.
>
> BTW, I'm quite surprised that you want to go back to the messy Ant build
> from 2.1.x after having argued for building Cocoon with Maven for years.
> Have you lost your faith in Maven?
>
> Springification
> ===============
>
> Talking about destabilizing, a couple of weeks ago the trunk was usable
> after the file copying referred to above. Actually it was so stable that
> I developed a small customer application with it without any problems.
> And AFAIU Reinhard have developed a large application in it. This is not
> the possible anymore, after the Springification.
>
> I tried to start a freshly checked out trunk together with the ajax,
> form and template block after having copied the configuration files and
> samples to cocoon-webapp as described above. The start page worked, but
> all access to sub sitemaps gave null pointer exceptions, where the
> TreeBuilder configuration can't be loaded. IIRC there where other things
> that was reported that didn't work a couple of weeks ago as well.
>
> I suggest that the container should be reasonably stable before even
> thinking about doing any big moves.
>
>            --- o0o ---
>
> Not surprisingly I'm -1 on your points 2 and 3. If you want to continue
> in that direction which IMO represents a huge step back. I insist on
> that you prove that it work and that you actually have the persistence
> to carry it through, on a copy of the trunk in the whiteboard. After
> that you need to cast a vote about making that the new trunk.
>
> Also it should be much easier to update the Ant scripts than changing
> the directory structure.
>
> Anyway, why you would like to make such a huge effort in such an
> backward pointing direction, instead of helping to finish the blocks
> work or at least the M10N, is just beyond my imagination.
>
> /Daniel

I agree with Daniel.

                                     - o -

I want to add some thoughts to Daniel's idea of writing some Ant script for the
build: trunk has been mavenized and split up into many modules. The missing
thing is some tool that will create a web application out of a number of blocks.
In a "world of real blocks" that's the job of the deployer that I wrote.

If somebody has the need of writing some deployment tool without having to
understand blocks-fw, he could write an Ant script or an M2 Mojo that get some
kind of configuration which blocks should be installed:

<configuration>
   <blocks>
     <block>org.apache.cocoon:forms-impl:1.0-SNAPSHOT</block>
     <block>org.apache.cocoon:template-impl:1.0-SNAPSHOT</block>
   </blocks>
</configuration>

Then the mojo deploys them to the right place and takes the component
configuration out of it and puts it into /WEB-INF/xconf.

As M2 offers some Ant tasks to get access to M2 repos, this could be done with
Ant too.

I don't have the time right now and also don't have the urgent need for it - I
will concentrate on learning more about the configuration service, implementing
the OSGi contracts within the deployer and write a Daisy M2 plugin.
But of course I will help with my experiences with M2 mojo development. Also
checkout the cocoon-deployer-plugin module, which should give some
implementation hints.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc