cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RT] OSGi based blocks
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:35:16 GMT
My feelings about the blocks and OSGi are vented here already: too few
people know that is going on and what to do and although these features
are big promises, at the moment they are just that: promises.

Is it possible to get the best of both worlds and do something like this:

- evolve 2.1.X to include (Carsten's idea) the new configuration
features of 2.2 and Spring (and Maven 2 build?). This will be 2.2.

- evolve the current 2.2 into 2.3 including the real blocks and the OSGi
stuff. IMHO I think that focusing on real blocks should be first
priority and every evolution into a "cocoon-independent" framework
should be put on the back burner, otherwise the blocks will never become
"real". The first implementation can be crude and clumsy, but then it
can benefit from all the accumulated knowledge here.

 From my POV this will close part of the huge gap that is currently
between 2.1.X and 2.2 and that is probably the biggest problem now.

Bye, Helma