cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] OSGi based blocks
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:51:15 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Please Daniel, don't take this personally as it isn't really directed at
> you.  Part of it is directed at myself as I haven't had any significant
> amount of time to contribute to this work. I guess I'm just wondering if
> I'm the only one who is feeling this way? If so, I'll stop my whining.

I'd like to look at why you don't have time to contribute. I believe it
is because this 'Cocoon' that is under development is still in early
stages and still quite 'abstract' in the problems it is trying to solve.
That's not a bad thing necessarily, but the consequence is that it feels
as if there's no space for people to innovate on smaller or more
immediate issues because we're all waiting for this 'big thing'.

If the OSGi blocks stuff is so orthogonal to Cocoon, why don't we:
 * break it off into a separate development path, no longer consider it
   'trunk',
 * move 2.1.X into trunk
 * Start innovating on 2.1.x again
 * Wrap the OSGi blocks system around this new trunk as and when it is
   a bit better developed.

Personally, the long waiting for this blocks system is having very
unfortunate effects on our community. We need to change that. Take the
development of blocks off the front stage, and let it happen quietly
somewhere until there's something clear for us to see and play with,
rather than preventing people from being able to innovate because they
can't understand the status of trunk and don't have time/resources to
invest in working it out and keeping up.

That means that all that are left are those of us that have 'personal
spare time'. The rest of us, who do all of our Cocoon work as a part of
our livelihoods, can't find time to contribute to Cocoon because we
can't justify it - it is just too hard to work out where to contribute.

And 'just waiting' is dangerous, as each moment some of our valuable
resource wanders away.

Upayavira