cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] OSGi based blocks
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:37:26 GMT

Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Conclusion
> ==========
>
> It should be noted that I haven't referred to any Cocoon specifics
> above. That is one of the neat things about the architecture. It is
> completely orthogonal to and independent of the rest of Cocoon and it
> could be used together with any servlet based web framework.
I suppose this is part of the problem and where my concern lies.  I have
no idea what trunk is anymore and how I'm supposed to build an
application with it and from what I can tell there are only a few people
who really do.  I have been simply waiting for a maven 2 build so that I
could run a small script from my desktop and have it download and
install the parts I need.  While all this stuff is probably really cool
I still don't see how it addresses what I'm looking for.  I don't want
to be negative because I really like the premise of OSGi, but it really
isn't one of the problems I needed solved at the moment:
a. No requirement for Cocoon users to download source
b. Build and deployment tools to allow customers to only download the
Cocoon parts they want and their dependencies.
c. Build tool to allow customers to add their own customization.

Now if you can put what you have done into instructions on how to do the
above I'll shut up.

Sorry for venting, but it is just that IIRC we all agreed at the
getTogether that the priority was to try to get a maven 2 build done by
the end of the year for a 2.2M1 release.  For quite a while I have felt
that only 2 or 3 committers actually have any idea what is going on in
trunk and no one else can help because they don't really know what to
do.  However, I have seen patches that were applied to 2.1 also applied
to trunk, but I find myself wondering if they were actually tested there.

Please Daniel, don't take this personally as it isn't really directed at
you.  Part of it is directed at myself as I haven't had any significant
amount of time to contribute to this work. I guess I'm just wondering if
I'm the only one who is feeling this way? If so, I'll stop my whining.

Ralph