cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status of block development
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:14:17 GMT
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:

<snip/>

>>In cocoon-deploy.xml you can define which _concrete_ blocks that
>>*you*  in the  role of  the deployer  want to  use to  satisfy a
>>requirement.
>

> So if we write an Eclipse  plugin to configure deployment, we will
> have to  edit both  cocoon-deploy.xml and pom.xml?

No, fortunatly not. cocoon-deployer-webapp-sample/pom.xml only has a dependency
on cocoon-default to make the Jetty plugin happy. For some reason the servlet
needs to be in the Maven classpath when the plugin is executed.

If you're working on a *single block*, you can use *cocoon:simple-deploy* which
doesn't need a cocoon-deploy.xml. Checkout the first block tutorial to learn more.

> Just curious,
> is  it  possible  to  skip  cocoon-deploy.xml  if  we  don't  have
> polymorphism nor  inheritance?

I don't think so as there are more differences between dependencies in Cocoon
and Maven 2. We additionally want to

  - give a dependency an ID (needed for the block protocol)
  - want to set properties at deployment time
  - want to deploy one block several times (e.g. to different mount-points
    or with different parameters)
  - point to paths instead of artifacts (for RAD)

Any of these points is supported by Maven. Maybe we can work on getting our
wishes fullfilled by the Maven community in the long run, but I don't have the
energy to do it right now and as said, we have to learn more about what we need
before we ask to change a released contract like pom.xml IMHO.

> Do  we necessarily  need something
> more than the Maven infrastructure at the moment?

IMHO yes. I don't know if *we* need it. I just can speak for myself when I say
that *I* need it (see the reasons about + block polymorphism is a must for my
use cases). I've been patient enough for more than 2 years to get real blocks
and I don't want to cut the concept just because we need another 2 months to
become 'feature complete' or because Maven is different.

<skip/>
> And it's quick!  Thanks for your work.

Thanks for testing!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc