cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use Maven 2 for the generation of the Cocoon documentation
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:37:41 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> As written in my mail "Status of block development"
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=114165989221631&w=2) I
> propose a change in the Cocoon documentation creation:
>
> We have put a lot of work into the Mavenization of the Cocoon build
> system. As you might know, Maven provides a site generation goal
> "site:site". This makes is very simple to integrate a lot of reports
> (javadocs, jdepend, cobertura, svn activities, ...) and uses information
> available in pom.xml to produce docs.
>
> IMO the only missing part is the integration of our docs that are
> managed by Daisy. My idea is:
>
>  - write a Maven plugin that can access Daisy
>  - it is configured by the doc-id of a navigation documentent which is the
>    root of the block documentation
>  - the plugin uses the Daisy client API to access this navigation doc
>    and generates docs out of it by crawling all references docs and
> resources.
>    The result of this process is added to the generated site.
>
> First, does this proposal make sense from a technical point of view?
> Is anybody interested in working on this? I can help with the Maven part
> of starting a Maven plugin project a bit.

I have no experience of Maven so can make no comment on that end of things.

Reusing the Daisy navigation documents is not a trivial task, but it is
certanly possible. What you describe is exactly what the Forrest plugin
does.

An alternative approach, and one that I am keen to follow if my own time
allows (not right now). Is to create a Maven plugin for Forrest, thus we
would use the two tools to produce what they are best at.

However, as I said, I do not have the time to do this right now. So if
someone wants to go the maven plugin route then go for it.

Ross