cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use Maven 2 for the generation of the Cocoon documentation
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:00:32 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz schrieb:
>
>>As written in my mail "Status of block development"
>>(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=114165989221631&w=2) I propose

>>a change in the Cocoon documentation creation:
>>
>>We have put a lot of work into the Mavenization of the Cocoon build system. As
>>you might know, Maven provides a site generation goal "site:site". This makes is
>>very simple to integrate a lot of reports (javadocs, jdepend, cobertura, svn
>>activities, ...) and uses information available in pom.xml to produce docs.
>>
>>IMO the only missing part is the integration of our docs that are managed by
>>Daisy. My idea is:
>>
>>  - write a Maven plugin that can access Daisy
>>  - it is configured by the doc-id of a navigation documentent which is the
>>    root of the block documentation
>>  - the plugin uses the Daisy client API to access this navigation doc
>>    and generates docs out of it by crawling all references docs and resources.
>>    The result of this process is added to the generated site.
>>
>>First, does this proposal make sense from a technical point of view?
>>Is anybody interested in working on this? I can help with the Maven part of
>>starting a Maven plugin project a bit.
>>
>>[I've cc'ed the Daisy mailing list as there might be people who are interested
>>in  such a plugin too and may consider helping out on writing it.]
>>

> I'm more than +1 for getting the reports Maven provides for us on our
> website. I'm not
> sure if we need a plugin for the daisy docs or if just linking from the
> maven generated site is enough. Whatever works best.

I consider one block as a unit and the docs are part of this unit. I want to see
all pieces of information that belong to this unit, at *one* place and I don't
want to distribute it.

Additionally, if we use Maven as starting point for the doc generation we can
use Continuum to generate our site. And because of the nature of Maven 2 we can
geneate the site for one project or use a reactor build to create it all projects.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc