cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Support for per sitemap classloading?
Date Sun, 05 Mar 2006 13:19:59 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>

>>>One remaining question: currently we have several places where the
>>>thread context classloader is used (for example to create new
>>>instances). I guess that with the blocks-fw in place that the thread
>>>context class loader is not the correct one.
>>
>>why do you think so? (just curious, I haven't had the idea yet that this could
>>be a problem)
>>

> Blocks provide isolated class loading, so every block has it's own class
> loader. Now, unless you want to change the thread context class loader
> on each method invokation between blocks (like we currently do for the
> environment stack with internal pipeline calls), then the thread context
> class loader is rarely the class loader for the "current" block.
> We currently use the thread context class loader to get "cocoon's
> classloader" which might be different (in 2.1.x) to the webapp class loader.

IIUC the classloading as you describe it here isn't in place, right? Currently
we have one global classloader for *all* blocks (see the BlocksManager). The
build system (= Maven 2) takes care that only one version of each artifact is
added to the global classloader.

This will change with the introduction of the OSGi-based blocks-fw. Then OSGi
will take care of it and that's the reason why we should wait before we come up
with our own solutions (which hopefully won't be ncessary).

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc