cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Block deployment
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:15:15 GMT
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> * Daniel Fagerstrom:
>

>>These artifact is  newer than the latest update  of the snapshot
>>repository, you need to compile and install cocoon-blocks-fw and
>>cocoon-sitemap in you local repository to get it to work.
>>
>>And  in general  you need  to get  all Cocoon  blocks from  your
>>local repository  as the  one from  the snapshot  repository are
>>obsolete. Do a
>>
>>$ mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true clean install from cocoon-trunk.
>

> OK thanks.
>
> Now the mvn clean cocoon:simple-deploy in
> cocoon-block-deployer/cocoon-deployer-plugin-demo works.
>
> I'm wondering why  installing library is so slow,  like one second
> for each of these lines:
>
> [INFO] Installing library WEB-INF/lib/commons-jci-r306555.jar

Because transactional file acces of the commons-transaction project is used. I
plan to make this configureable (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1773)

> And BTW I read the tutorials about Cocoon block deployer, maybe it
> would  be worth  adding a  TODO list  to be  sure what  feature is
> available.  For example,  795.html states that one  of the Primary
> features  is to  define which  blocks  are installed.   But is  it
> really the case?

sorry, the sentence was misleading. I changed it to "define which blocks are to
be installed" or IOW, which blocks to you want to install.

> And  I have  a more  general question:  what concrete  usecase and
> existing blocks have  motivated the design and  development of the
> wiring feature?  Do  we have several blocks  implementing the same
> interface?

see http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BlockIntroduction, which was the originally
written by Stefano looooong time ago.

The wiki documents mainly deal with what we call "sitemap blocks". The last
missing piece is how component dependencies will finally look like. That's
pretty much undefined. Declarative services in OSGi could be the answer.

>  I  could imagine that  if we  had an eXist  block, one
> would choose between eXist and Xindice, both implementing the same
> contract... could you please give an example?

If the link above and my (short) explanation is not enough, feel free to ask :-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc