cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject [Docs] FAQ Document Type
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:01:39 GMT
A couple of weeks ago I promised to set up a FAQ system in Daisy. I've
now done this.

Creating a FAQ
==============

There is a "FAQ" document Type. This is a simple document in which the
document title should be the question and the content should be the answer.

To illustrate things I have copied the "installation faqs" from
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/faq/faq-install.html into individual FAQ
documents, for example:

http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/799.html?branch=1&language=1
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/806.html?branch=1&language=1

Tagging Faqs
============

There is an (optional) "tags" field. This can take any number of "tags"
for categorisation of the content. These tags can then be used by the
Daisy query language to build dynamic FAQs.

To create the Installation FAQ index we use a query such as:

select name
where documentType='FAQ'
  and InCollection('documentation')
  and $Tags='Installation'

Which results in the page at
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/faq.html

FAQ Reuse
---------

Custom FAQs can be built from multiple FAQ documents by adding relevant
tags to the appropriate FAQ entries and building a query such as that
above. That is, a single FAQ may appear in more than one FAQ index.

For example, we may have a number of CForm FAQs some of which deal with
the XYZ widget, while others deal with different aspects of CForms.
Tagging FAQs effectively, say with "CForm" and "XYZ widget", allows us
to create a CForm FAQ index which includes all relevant FAQs. At the
same time we can use a search on the "XYZ widget" tag to include the
relevant FAQs within the documentation for that individual widget.

FAQ Navigation

It is also possible to create dynamic FAQ indexes in the navigation
menu, for example, see the FAQs/Installation node (expanded on
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/faqs/install/799.html )

----

So, if people like this, we should migrate all FAQs from the legacy docs
into this format, as well as including relevant ones from the Wiki.

Ross