cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CForms and Portlets - making form ids dynamic
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:26:19 GMT
* Carsten Ziegeler:

> While   cforms   is   excellent  for   developing   form   based
> applications, it has some (minor)  problems if Cocoon is used in
> a portal environment, being it  the Cocoon portal or Cocoon used
> as a JSR 168 portlet in a different portal container.

I would say  that developing CForms together with  Portal does not
exhibit *minor* problems, I would rather say it's a major PITA!

Why?  Because most users develop CForms together with FlowScript's
continuations.  And this exposes several problems:

1) if you have several forms on your page, when you post a form,
   all forms believe they are being continued leading to an
   exception being thrown

2) if you post directly to your FlowScript's pipeline, there's no
   way to display the portal

3) the FlowScript is not the controller, leading to awkward
   situations like not being able to issue a redirection (may be
   a general issue with portals)

It's possible to circumvent problem 1) by using CachingURICoplets
and by invalidating the cache of the target coplet upon form
submission.

WDYT?  IMO your current work is very valuable because it would
allow better integration between portal and forms.  However, I'm a
bit disappointed because badly mixing and hacking portal and
CForms is the only way we had to go for years!  I wish this random
id feature was there since the beginning.
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/