cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: setting up a Cocoon m2 repo mirror (was Re: [RT] a simple release plan)
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:38:38 GMT
On Tuesday 21 March 2006 02:32, Jorg Heymans wrote:
> What is being suggested is not that we mirror the whole of ibiblio, we
> would only mirror the libraries that are currently hosted on cvs.a.o.

This sounds like a really odd idea. You can point your pom to use the cvs.a.o
directly.

> - the dependency is not available on the central m2 repo (the number of
> these libs is slowly declining due to better m2 acceptance)

If it is not on the central repo, it is a non-released version and
questionable that anyone should depend on it.

> - the dependency is available, but has a dodgy pom making it difficult
> to benefit from m2 features (eg transitive dependencies).

Since you will need to manually clean this up here, perhaps sending the file
over to the Maven peeps is collectively a better idea.

> - we're using a snapshot dependency that is not hosted anywhere else
> (remember the central repo only allows _released_ versions)

IMHO, a questionable practice. (see below)

> Remember that this mirror would become only a *temporary* solution for
> any dependend library that has not fully mavenized yet.

Now think again; After you have done this, and decommissioned the temporary
solution, you are in a position of a non-working slot in time for that
source. This goes both for SNAPSHOTs (which are actively being removed from
their temporary storage spaces) and temporary artifact hosts.

If SNAPSHOTs are totally unavoidable, consider putting these in the Svn
alongside the source code. Inability to build from today's source in the
future is a serious flaw in chosen strategy.

Cheers
Niclas