cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <>
Subject Re: Status of block development
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:12:05 GMT
* Reinhard Poetz:
> Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> > * Reinhard Poetz:
> >>  Except cforms all these blocks are not shared between 2.1 and changing
> >>  cforms shouldn't be a big problem as the cforms directories are
> >>  references from 2.1 on a very detailed level. Right?
> >Can you elaborate what changes are required for CForms?
> The directory structure of blocks is different. See
  which already
> uses the new one. In the archives you find some threads about the reasons that led to

AFAICT the structure has changed already many times!

> > Why  is there  redundancy with  pom.xml, both  are referencing
> > cocoon-default.
> pom.xml  describes  which  artifacts  are required  to  build  a
> project. The  difference  is,  that  block.xml  describes  which
> requirements  in  the form  of  other  blocks  a block  has  but
> *doesn't* say anything about conrecte implementations.
> In cocoon-deploy.xml you can define which _concrete_ blocks that
> *you*  in the  role of  the deployer  want to  use to  satisfy a
> requirement.

So if we write an Eclipse  plugin to configure deployment, we will
have to  edit both  cocoon-deploy.xml and pom.xml?   Just curious,
is  it  possible  to  skip  cocoon-deploy.xml  if  we  don't  have
polymorphism nor  inheritance?  Do  we necessarily  need something
more than the Maven infrastructure at the moment?

> > > Before block deployment, the normal  web app creation of the
> > > war  plugin takes  place  which mainly  consists of  copying
> > > files from src/main/webapp to target/[finalName].
> >
> > How  to  achieve   this  step?   It  seems  it   is  not  done
> > automatically.
> hmm,   it   works   for    me. The   plugin   would   copy   any
> content  from  within  ./src/main/webapp  to  ./target/demo  but
> ATM   the  only   file   that  is   copied   is  web.xml   (from
> ./src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml).
> I did
> mvn clean cocoon:deploy jetty6:run

OK in fact I had the old version of the block deployer.  I had to
« mvn install » again in cocoon-block-deployer.

Now when I issue « mvn cocoon:deploy » in
cocoon-deployer-webapp-sample, I get an error:

org.apache.cocoon.deployer.DeploymentException: The block descriptor of the archive '/local-home/jbq/.m2/repository/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-core-components/1.0-SNAPSHOT/cocoon-core-components-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar'
can't be read correctly.

So I reinstalled whole Cocoon with:
mvn clean install -Dmaven.test.skip=true
because I guess the block.xml format has changed.

And now it works:

[INFO] SUCESSFULLY deployed in 0:00:05.277

And it's quick!  Thanks for your work.
Jean-Baptiste Quenot

View raw message