cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Irv Salisbury" <irv.salisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CRAZY IDEA] sitemaps in javascript
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:56:28 GMT
I have to admit that the cocoon sitemaps we use for our projects have gotten
out of hand.  If a new person started working on it, they would need a
sitemap for the sitemaps.  Because of the common stuff we want to do across
projects, we actually start with sitemap xml snippets that we include with
DTD includes.  (Yes I know it is ugly but the best we could come up with for
common sitemap stuff without true includes)

Now, once you get past that, there are a ton of common resource calls with
parameters.  Each of these uses aggregation and the cinclude transformer.
The cinclude transformer of course has calls to cocoon:// pipelines.  So,
now the spaghetti starts getting nasty.  All of this is in the name of reuse
and without having true inheritance and an easy aggregation mechanism, we
have had to do these things.

Add in the mix of flowscript and you really have a nightmare on your hands.
We have tried to keep to rules of what goes where, but somebody new coming
onto our project would need at least a couple weeks and a roadmap to find
their way around.

Having a nice, clean include mechanism and an easy inline way of doing
aggregation, coupled with the ability to do easy content based routing (yeah
don't get me started on that one) and our sitemap would be a LOT cleaner.
We accomplish content based routing by using XMLBeans, calling a pipeline
that fills up the bean in flowscript, checking the values, then calling the
appropriate other pipelines.  The back and forth of this is pretty nasty.

So, I would wholeheartedly agree that either javascript or java (my
preference) for a sitemap language would be great.  To offer the possiblity
of not having to pass XML through the pipeline would be even better.  For
performance reasons, if I could just manipulate java (using hibernate or the
like) the only go to XML for the final step is great.  This can be
accomplished somewhat with the current system, but you still have to go back
and forth from flowscript to sitemap, and get all the yuck with that.

Irv