cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building trunk - Maven is your friend
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:08:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

 > After some thinking I think I have a simple solution to our problem
 > about how to build trunk with m2: it's simple, Maven can do this for us!
 >
 > The Maven war plugin is able to assemble the webapp by combining the
 > contents of several war projects. So if we change all of our blocks
 > projects (that have samples or web resources) from "jar" to "war" and

please don't do this, I will explain later

 > then add the dependency to the war project in the pom in cocoon-webapp,
 > Maven does everything for us. I just tried this with the
 > cocoon-session-fw-sample block and it seems to work. Though I did not
 > get everything working. See below
 >
 > Now - as always - there are some (minor) problems:
 > - Currently Maven requires that a war has a web.xml: This requires to
 > add a dummy web.xml to each sample block; this web.xml is later on
 > ignored as the web.xml from the cocoon-webapp is used. I guess if we go
 > this way, we can ask the maven guys to provide some option to make
 > web.xml optional.
 > - We have to restructure the directory layout of our blocks a little
 > bit: all resources for the webapp should go to src/main/webapp. So, for
 > example a block with a configuration (no sample block) has:
 > src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/conf with the configuration files while a sample
 > block might have a src/main/webapp/samples/blocks/BLOCKNAME/ directory.

no, please don't do this either. We need our resources in
src/main/resources/COB-INF to make them 'real blocks'. Doing something
different, would be a step into the wrong direction.

 > - This seems to require the development version of the webapp plugin and
 > I wasn't able to include two webapps (session-fw-impl and session-fw).
 > Though looking at the code, it should work, m2 refused to do this, but
 > I had a week network connection, so it might be due to this?; I don't
 > have time today to invest here further, but I'm sure it should work,
 > so this should be a viable solution.
 >
 > I think someone recently raised the question, how we distinguish between
 > sample and and functionality blocks. I think for now we can go with a
 > naming convention: if you want the sample, you depend on the sample
 > project, if not you depend on the impl.
 >
 > WDYT?

The problem is that the solution doesn't handle dependencies and we don't get a
wiring.xml. Both problems are solved by the block-deployer.

Please have a look at my both tutorials

http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/796.html
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/797.html

to get an idea how I think block deployment (and the creation of web
applications) should worl.

The first one already works and I will make the second one work ASAP (hopefully
this week) so that we can create a web application that consists of more than
one block.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc