cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building trunk - Maven is your friend
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:45:34 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> After some thinking I think I have a simple solution to our problem
> about how to build trunk with m2: it's simple, Maven can do this for us!
>
> The Maven war plugin is able to assemble the webapp by combining the
> contents of several war projects. So if we change all of our blocks
> projects (that have samples or web resources) from "jar" to "war" and

please don't do this, I will explain later

> then add the dependency to the war project in the pom in cocoon-webapp,
> Maven does everything for us. I just tried this with the
> cocoon-session-fw-sample block and it seems to work. Though I did not
> get everything working. See below
>
> Now - as always - there are some (minor) problems:
> - Currently Maven requires that a war has a web.xml: This requires to
> add a dummy web.xml to each sample block; this web.xml is later on
> ignored as the web.xml from the cocoon-webapp is used. I guess if we go
> this way, we can ask the maven guys to provide some option to make
> web.xml optional.
> - We have to restructure the directory layout of our blocks a little
> bit: all resources for the webapp should go to src/main/webapp. So, for
> example a block with a configuration (no sample block) has:
> src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/conf with the configuration files while a sample
> block might have a src/main/webapp/samples/blocks/BLOCKNAME/ directory.

no, please don't do this either. We need our resources in
src/main/resources/COB-INF to make them 'real blocks'. Doing something
different, would be a step into the wrong direction.

> - This seems to require the development version of the webapp plugin and
> I wasn't able to include two webapps (session-fw-impl and session-fw).
> Though looking at the code, it should work, m2 refused to do this, but
> I had a week network connection, so it might be due to this?; I don't
> have time today to invest here further, but I'm sure it should work,
> so this should be a viable solution.
>
> I think someone recently raised the question, how we distinguish between
> sample and and functionality blocks. I think for now we can go with a
> naming convention: if you want the sample, you depend on the sample
> project, if not you depend on the impl.
>
> WDYT?

The problem is that the solution doesn't handle dependencies and we don't get a
wiring.xml. Both problems are solved by the block-deployer.

Please have a look at my both tutorials

http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/796.html
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/797.html

to get an idea how I think block deployment (and the creation of web
applications) should worl.

The first one already works and I will make the second one work ASAP (hopefully
this week) so that we can create a web application that consists of more than
one block.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc