cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Building trunk - Maven is your friend
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:09:30 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> After some thinking I think I have a simple solution to our problem
> about how to build trunk with m2: it's simple, Maven can do this for us!
>
> The Maven war plugin is able to assemble the webapp by combining the
> contents of several war projects. So if we change all of our blocks
> projects (that have samples or web resources) from "jar" to "war" and
> then add the dependency to the war project in the pom in cocoon-webapp,
> Maven does everything for us. I just tried this with the
> cocoon-session-fw-sample block and it seems to work. Though I did not
> get everything working. See below
>
> Now - as always - there are some (minor) problems:
> - Currently Maven requires that a war has a web.xml: This requires to
> add a dummy web.xml to each sample block; this web.xml is later on
> ignored as the web.xml from the cocoon-webapp is used. I guess if we go
> this way, we can ask the maven guys to provide some option to make
> web.xml optional.
> - We have to restructure the directory layout of our blocks a little
> bit: all resources for the webapp should go to src/main/webapp. So, for
> example a block with a configuration (no sample block) has:
> src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/conf with the configuration files while a sample
> block might have a src/main/webapp/samples/blocks/BLOCKNAME/ directory.
> - This seems to require the development version of the webapp plugin and
> I wasn't able to include two webapps (session-fw-impl and session-fw).
> Though looking at the code, it should work, m2 refused to do this, but
> I had a week network connection, so it might be due to this?; I don't
> have time today to invest here further, but I'm sure it should work,
> so this should be a viable solution.
>
> I think someone recently raised the question, how we distinguish between
> sample and and functionality blocks. I think for now we can go with a
> naming convention: if you want the sample, you depend on the sample
> project, if not you depend on the impl.
I like it. Still I have one big issue with m2 webapp approach:

mvn war:inplace copies all resources to cocoon-webapp/src/webapp
directory. There is no mvn clean for that and no easy way to tell which
file really belongs to cocoon-webapp/src/webapp/** and which one is
copied over from another module (and under no circumstances should be
commited to the repository).