cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using trunk
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:35:40 GMT
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> * Reinhard Poetz:
>

>>Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>>

>>>* Daniel Fagerstrom:

>>>Do we have a user-oriented tool for that?
>>
>>The block-deployer  _will_ become  the tool  of choice  for this
>>kind of things.
>

> Is it a GUI or based on  a properties file like before?  Sorry for
> the dumb questions, I may  have missed something...  I'm trying to
> understand how things will work.

Currently the block deployer consists of a core
(cocoon/trunk/cocoon-block-deployer/cocoon-deployer-core), that actually does
the deployment (copy files, write wiring.xml).

I wrote a Maven plugin
(cocoon/trunk/cocoon-block-deployer/cocoon-deployer-plugin), that makes use of
the core. Currently this plugin can only deploy a single block (+ auto-resolving
all dependant blocks). That's the "cocoon:simple-deploy" goal.

In the future the plugin will also support a "cocoon:deploy" goal that works
based on a configuration file which describes the blocks that should be
installed and how they are configured.

This configuration file is based on an XML schema and can be unmarshalled into a
Java object. (I'm using Castor-XML for this.)

Writing some Eclipse plugin in order to get a visual interface, shouldn't be
too difficult as it can collect the same information as the content of XML file
would be. Of course the Eclipse plugin can directly call the API of the
deployer-core. For now I've stopped development as I have to completly
understand what the contract of blocks will be. As soon as I know this, I will
finish the deployer-core.

If you need/want to know more, just let me know! I don't know if you have
Eclipse plugin-development experience, but setting up a project that does a
simple deploy would be very helpful.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc