cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Dependency on WebApplicationContext
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:46:33 GMT
I'm trying to get the blocks fw working again after the switch to
Spring. It doesn't seem to be particularly easy as the tree processor
now is sprinkled with concrete references to
CocoonXmlWebApplicationContext which in turn extends the
org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext which
has one of the more bloated APIs that I have had the misfortune to see
http://www.springframework.org/docs/api/org/springframework/web/context/support/XmlWebApplicationContext.html.

I thought that we had the goal to make Cocoon layered and make e.g. the
sitemap processor usable outside Cocoon. And that the point with Spring
was to make Cocoon independent of the container. With the concrete
references to the above monster of a class we make Cocoon (if possible)
even more monolithic.

I'm completely against having the treeprocessor hardwired to that freak
class. The treeprocessor should depend on a (small) interface that
describe what it actually need from its container.

Right now it feels like there are hours an hours of work before I get
back to have a working block implementation again.

Carsten, the next time you feel like doing a major refactoring of
something that affects other developers, I would really appreciate if
you discussed the design for a while, so that the rest of us can give
some input.

It would also be better if you made sure that major pieces actually work
before throwing away the old working code, and destroy the work for
others (me).

/Daniel