cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [2.2] Simplifying configuration
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:46:00 GMT
In the last days I simpliefied the configuration for 2.2 a little bit.
I hope this is ok with everyone - if not we can discuss/read stuff (no
problem, and yes I know that it would be better to first ask and then
do, but I needed some changes for the spring stuff anyway).

In 2.1.x it's possible to configure properties in web.xml which are then
set later on within Cocoon as system properties. Now I think this should
not be a task for Cocoon: it's better to define those properties when
you startup your JVM - so I removed this feature completly.

All files which are written (logs, uploads, temporary files) are no
longer written by default into the webapp. They all go into the working
directory - directly writing files to the webapp has never really been a
good idea.

Cocoon 2.1.x tries to set some system properties for Xalan (code below);
I commented them out and didn't experience any problems. Does anyone
know why we needed them the first place. I think we should just remove
this code. If it's needed in some cases, again these are system
properties which can be set for the JVM.

Carsten

    protected void setSystemProperties() {
        try {
            // FIXME We shouldn't have to specify the SAXParser...
            // This is needed by Xalan2, it is used by
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderFactory
            // to locate the SAX2 driver.
            if (getSystemProperty("org.xml.sax.driver", null) == null) {
                System.setProperty("org.xml.sax.driver",
"org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser");
            }
        } catch (SecurityException e) {
            // Ignore security exceptions
            System.out.println("Caught a SecurityException writing the
system property: " + e);
        }

        try {
            // FIXME We shouldn't have to specify these. Needed to
override jaxp implementation of weblogic.
            if
(getSystemProperty("javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory",
"").startsWith("weblogic")) {

System.setProperty("javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory",
"org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl");

System.setProperty("javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory","org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl");
            }

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/