cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using trunk
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:25:29 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> People, there seem to be some myths about that the trunk is unstable and
> that it doesn't work anymore. And that I and other people have
> unstabilized it beyond recognitions with the work on the blocks
> architecture.
>
> I cannot speak for Carsten's work the last week on switching to Spring
> (besides that it broke my ongoing work :/), but before that the trunk
> worked.
And it still does - at least the start page is still comming up :) And I
hope to get feedback, so we can fix any possible issues quickly. I'm
also cleaning up trunk a little bit and try to remove the
BootstrapEnvironment to make the setup of the trunk even more easier

> Now, it would of course be much more convenient if you could use Cocoon
> without the need to copy a few files. To get to that point someone need
> to write a Maven plug-in that perform the work that I outlined above. It
> shouldn't be rocket science IMO.

And I think this is exactly where the perception if a none working trunk
comes from. You can't just simply invoke a build script and start
Cocoon. You have to copy several folders to see something - this is not
a big deal, but a) you have to know it (I think our readmes are not
mentioning this) and b) it has the perception of a "hack". So it would
be great to have a maven plugin for this very soon.
I guess if someone could come up with a decent description of the plugin
 someone will very quickly come up with an implementation. So if someone
could provide a short description about which files/resources/folders
have to be copied where, this should be done very quickly.

> The work on blocks and OSGi that I and others are involved in outside
> the classical Cocoon but within the trunk, will make Cocoon better,
> leaner, sexier and easier to work with than most of you could even
> imagine ;) But it isn't ready for prime time just yet. Stay tuned and
> get prepared to be astonished ;)

Now, if you and others are working on it, do I understand this correctly
that this work is not done directly here in our repository?

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/