cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Cocoon and Felix]
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:25:39 GMT
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Upayavira wrote:
>> Thanks for this Daniel - Richard copied in so he sees your reply.
>> Regards, Upayavira

>> The above link does not really give me a clear picture of what is
>> needed. Would it be possible to describe more precisely what the
>> requirement is?
The requirement is to be able to deploy the OSGi framework and the
needed Cocoon bundles and other bundles within a standard servlet
container as e.g. a war. Upayavira and others can hopefully fill in with
more details. This point is not high priority for me personally, I think
it is a better idea to use an OSGi framework with an HttpService,
standalone. But for others, the possibility to deploy Cocoon within a
servlet container is important.

>> From my understanding, the Equinox DS impl has a pretty clean
>> interface between it and the framework, so it might not be difficult
>> to get it and Felix to play together. We could also investigate the
>> KF impl. Also, we have people in the Felix community that are
>> interested in implementing DS, so hopefully we can have our own impl
>> before too long.
I was quite surprised when I read the standard draft and learned that
the DS require a non standardized framework hook, why is that?
>> Well, some of the features you are talking about tie you to a
>> particular OSGi R4 implementation, so if you depend on these features
>> then you will not work on all R4 frameworks. It is highly unlikely
>> that Felix (nor any other framework) will implement every Eclipse-ism.
I understand that. Our intension is of course to keep dependencies on
specific frameworks isolated and pluggable.

The requirements to be able to use unpacked bundles is a must for any
project that is interested in rapid development, so it isn't something
Cocoon specific. If you package your webapp, with html pages, java
scripts etc in a bundle, it would of course be a huge step back for web
development to require that the bundle would need to be zipped for each
small html editing.

The ability to run an OSGi framework within a web container will
hopefully not affect the Cocoon code at all. Cocoon will use an
HttpService, and when deployed standalone the HttpService will be an
ordinary one and when deployed as a war, we will instead use an
HttpService that just is a proxy to the embedding container.

So my hope is that, the only Cocoon requirement that will be visible in
our code is that we will depend on DS. Then, rapid development abilities
and web container deployabllity will more be an issue for the user and
will affect the users choice of OSGi framework and services provider.

View raw message