cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Cocoon and Felix]
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:22:13 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Thanks for this Daniel - Richard copied in so he sees your reply.
>
> Regards, Upayavira
>
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> We also need the ability to use unpacked bundles for fast prototyping
>> (available in Equinox).

This, I think would be reasonably straightforward to implement...I will
add it to JIRA.

>> We need the possibility to embed the OSGi
>> framework in a servlet container
>> (http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/incubator/server/embedding_in_a_servlet_container.php).

The above link does not really give me a clear picture of what is
needed. Would it be possible to describe more precisely what the
requirement is?

>> And we need a framework that work together with some declarative
>> services implementation (IIUC the coupling between declarative services
>> and the framework is not standardized).

 From my understanding, the Equinox DS impl has a pretty clean interface
between it and the framework, so it might not be difficult to get it and
Felix to play together. We could also investigate the KF impl. Also, we
have people in the Felix community that are interested in implementing
DS, so hopefully we can have our own impl before too long.

>> As a first step I think it is more important to get Cocoon working under
>> OSGi at all than supporting our local OSGi provider ;) As soon as we
>> have got to that point I am all for making Cocoon work with all OSGi R4
>> compliant frameworks, and maybe having Felix as default choice.

Well, some of the features you are talking about tie you to a particular
OSGi R4 implementation, so if you depend on these features then you will
not work on all R4 frameworks. It is highly unlikely that Felix (nor any
other framework) will implement every Eclipse-ism.

-> richard