cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fine Tuning Ajax Handling in CForms
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:46:09 GMT
Quoin Developers wrote:
>> Why do you need such flexibility?
>>

> Concretely, I was running in to
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1570 and realized that I
> could get what I needed by simply switching out of ajax mode (plus
> scrolling back up to the top of the page).
>
> And then I discovered that there was no simple way to switch out of
> ajax mode. The first way I discovered to switch out of ajax mode was
> to embellish onclick with "cocoon.forms.ajax=false;
> forms_submitForm(this, '{@id}'); return false". I could do that with
> fi:style, but it was clunky. I tried to embellish the onclick and
> onsubmit in the xsl, but that still felt clunky, so my approach
> evolved a bit.
>
> Bottom line, in my current application, I have certain page widgets
> that benefit from ajax updates to the form, however, the final
> form-level validation is simpler if i can switch out of ajax mode.
> This patch lets me do that. It felt useful, but I could be convinced
> otherwise.
>
> It /may/ be that once I fix 1570, that 1774 will be less critical, but
> I don't like that AJAX is all or nothing, as to me it feels a bit like
> it should be a per-widget decision.

I see. Well, I'm not really happy with adding more complexity by
allowing individual widgets to specify Ajax mode, but I understand the
issue.

Also, I realize that not all widgets nor all stylings allow Ajax mode,
and this <fi:validation-errors> (which I never used myself) shows it.

So let's go for it, and have the default mode defined on the form (with
the "ajax" attribute) and allow it to be overriden on widgets.

Now this orverriding should be limited to _terminal_ widgets (i.e.
inputs and buttons) and not be considered hierarchically (e.g. adding
ajax="false" on a repeater), in order to keep things as simple as they
can be.

Sylvain