cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:11:46 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Uh, what's a "thread safe poolable"??

If a thread safe component uses a poolable with ECM, you need to know
this when implementing the thread safe component. The implementation
will lookup/release the poolable whenever it needs one. Now this is of
course against the encapsulation pattern. When implementing a component
you shouldn't need to know how your dependencies are implemented.
In ECM++ I created a special handler for poolable's which creates a
proxy for the poolable component allowing to lookup a poolable inside a
thread safe component once and then simply using it. The proxy looks up
the real component whenever required and stores it in a thread local for
further access within this thread. WHen the request/response cycle
finishes, all looked up poolable components for this thread are released.

>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> So what do people think?
>
> Icannot see the implication ATM. What about stuff like ParentAware (or
> somehow) or those with Thread affinity?
We removed ParentAware and all the other stuff in 2.2 already.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/