cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:36:33 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> What about replacing ECM++ with Spring? I've a prototype on my harddisk
> which sets up a Spring BeanFactory based on our current Avalon
> configuration files (roles and xconf with includes and property
> replacements). This makes all of our components real spring beans while
> allowing a smooth migration path.
> The benefit of this is that you can simply use Spring without any
> bridging stuff or tricks. And your Spring beans can depend on the Avalon
> components (and vice versa) without any problems (as there are only
> Spring beans). And the container is then final no longer our business,
> we just use the most used/known one.
> The prototype supports all Avalon lifecycle interfaces right now - with
> the exception of Poolable/Recyclable as Spring does not have a way to
> release a bean. We could use our Proxy based approach for thread safe
> poolables for compatibility while trying to bann all poolable components
> anyway.
>
> So what do people think?

A few questions that quickly popped up:
- is it implemented as a BeanPostProcessor that implements the Avalon
lifecycle interfaces?
- how is defined the configuration of a Configurable?
- how can a POJO access the Context: does it still have to implement
Contexualizable, or is the context available as a regular bean?
- what is the format of the configuration file?
- what about ServiceSelectors?

Sylvain