cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:41:51 GMT
What about replacing ECM++ with Spring? I've a prototype on my harddisk
which sets up a Spring BeanFactory based on our current Avalon
configuration files (roles and xconf with includes and property
replacements). This makes all of our components real spring beans while
allowing a smooth migration path.
The benefit of this is that you can simply use Spring without any
bridging stuff or tricks. And your Spring beans can depend on the Avalon
components (and vice versa) without any problems (as there are only
Spring beans). And the container is then final no longer our business,
we just use the most used/known one.
The prototype supports all Avalon lifecycle interfaces right now - with
the exception of Poolable/Recyclable as Spring does not have a way to
release a bean. We could use our Proxy based approach for thread safe
poolables for compatibility while trying to bann all poolable components
anyway.

So what do people think?

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de