cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Global component registry
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:46:59 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>>> Unfortunatly the OSGi spec doesn't say much about declarative
>>> services. Did I overlook them or do you know of any source of
>>> information that is more helpful (e.g. show some examples)?
>>
>> They are new in R4 and part of the services specification (the R4 is
>> split into a core and a service specification). The specification
>> contains some examples, other than that I haven't found any examples.
>> There are two open source implementations, the reference
>> implementation from IBM that now is part of Eclipse/Equinox and one
>> from Knopflerfish.
>
> In the meantime I found
> http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/tutorial/ex7.html and
> http://gravity.sourceforge.net/servicebinder/
It is similar but not exactly the same. The declarative services is a
development of the service binder. But IIUC, they are rather close, so
it is probably a good starting point to read about the service binder.
Standard documents are not that easy going ;) even if the OSGi ones are
well written.
>> I succeed to make a minimal example running in the Equinox framework.
>> I'll start an experimental integration in Cocoon soon. The main
>> problem is how to make all the dependencies bundles. The correct way,
>> is to make all the jars bundles separately, but that is a lot of
>> work, and we need to cooperate with other communities to be able to
>> maintain it. This has been discussed at the Felix list, and there are
>> some interest e.g. for Excalibur. But someone have to take the first
>> step.
>>
>> The other option is to package all dependent jars inside the
>> Cocoon-core bundle, but that makes startup slow, and I don't know how
>> to maintain two separate packaging of Core with Maven.
>
> Maven knows the concept of "profiles" that are helpful to use
> different build strategies

Ok, will take a look at that.

/Daniel