cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Global component registry
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:09:38 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> This requires a component declarations with explicit dependencies.
>> Unfortunately ECM doesn't support this at all as it is based on
>> getting the dependencies through the service manager in the program
>> code. But OSGi declarative services support declarative component
>> dependencies e.g.
>
> Unfortunatly the OSGi spec doesn't say much about declarative
> services. Did I overlook them or do you know of any source of
> information that is more helpful (e.g. show some examples)?
They are new in R4 and part of the services specification (the R4 is
split into a core and a service specification). The specification
contains some examples, other than that I haven't found any examples.
There are two open source implementations, the reference implementation
from IBM that now is part of Eclipse/Equinox and one from Knopflerfish.

I succeed to make a minimal example running in the Equinox framework.
I'll start an experimental integration in Cocoon soon. The main problem
is how to make all the dependencies bundles. The correct way, is to make
all the jars bundles separately, but that is a lot of work, and we need
to cooperate with other communities to be able to maintain it. This has
been discussed at the Felix list, and there are some interest e.g. for
Excalibur. But someone have to take the first step.

The other option is to package all dependent jars inside the Cocoon-core
bundle, but that makes startup slow, and I don't know how to maintain
two separate packaging of Core with Maven.

/Daniel