cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [Vote] Let the environment interfaces extend the javax.servlet.http ones
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:56:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> As discussed in:
>>
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113432388200001&r=1&w=2
>> and less radical in
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113822674300001&r=1&w=2
>>
>> There would be a lot to gain by basing our environment abstraction on
>> the javax.servlet.http set of interfaces in trunk. I propose that we make:
>>
>> o.a.c.environment.Request  extend javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest
>> o.a.c.environment.Response extend javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse
>> o.a.c.environment.Context  extend javax.servlet.ServletContext
>> o.a.c.environment.Session  extend javax.servlet.http.HttpSession
>> o.a.c.environment.Cookie   extend javax.servlet.http.HttpCookie
>>
>> This shouldn't create any compatibility problems,
> Hmm, I think it will, e.g. j.s.h.HttpServletRequest#getSession returns
> a j.s.h.HttpSession while o.a.c.e.Request#getSession returns a
> o.a.c.e.Session and overriding just the return type is not possible in java.

Didn't think about that.

If we let o.a.c.e.Request#getSession have j.s.h.HttpSession as return
type and then let it return something that implements o.a.c.e.Session
You can always cast the return type of to a o.a.c.e.Session.

Wouldn't the need to add a few casts be a rather minor inconvenience
that is worthwhile for simplifying the framework and make it easier to
connect to the rest of the world?

/Daniel