cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Futher block-fw development
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:19:38 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> I have not that much problem with the sitemap stuff, it shouldn't be
> that hard to migrate them. I'm more concerned about the Core and
> Settings objects, that is part of the trunk contract and that doesn't
> fit well into a splited up non-monolithic architecture.

Hmm, which external contracts are affected by how the "framework" works? The
only contract I see is where block.xml is located (/META-INF/block.xml) and
which XML (defined by the namespace). This way the framework (and the deployer)
find out whether they can work with a given block or not. Do you see any other
dependencies?

Currently you can configure the deployer which blocks-fw you want to use (which
is the actual core IMHO) and blocks-fw depends on the legacy core. As said, this
is completly unrelated to the blocks.

>> Do you have a roadmap on what's open?
>

> * Component handling - design issues

ok, that's the main question that needs to be answered

> * Logging - I put it in the BlocksManager but didn't give it much
> thought, here is a new chance for all logging enthusiasts to discuss ;)

hehe

> * Multi part MIME handling - not part of the blocks architecture to
> simplify things, would make most sense to put in a ServletFilter IMO

ok (haven't thought about this yet)

> * Error handling - there is sophisticated creation of error messages in
> the CocoonServlet, where is the right place for it in the blocks
> architecture?

ok (haven't thought about this yet either)

> * JARed blocks - the BlocksManager assumes that the wiring location
> points to unpacked blocks, implement support for packed blocks.

ok, IMHO a nice to have for me and transparent for the user.

Do you mind if I create JIRA tasks for them? I would like to use the roadmap
feature of JIRA to make it visible for lurkes on what we are doing.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc