cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using trunk
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:11:04 GMT
* Reinhard Poetz:

> Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
> > * Reinhard Poetz:

> > > The block-deployer _will_ become the tool of choice for this
> > > kind of things.
> >
> > Is it a GUI or based  on a properties file like before?  Sorry
> > for the  dumb questions, I  may have missed  something...  I'm
> > trying to understand how things will work.
>
> I wrote  a Maven  plugin that makes  use of  the core. Currently
> this plugin can only deploy a single block (+ auto-resolving all
> dependant blocks). That's the "cocoon:simple-deploy" goal.
>
> In the  future the  plugin will  also support  a "cocoon:deploy"
> goal that  works based on  a configuration file  which describes
> the blocks that should be installed and how they are configured.

Isn't that exactly what we need to automate webapp build? How many
Maven plugins are needed?  Just this one right?

> This configuration  file is based  on an  XML schema and  can be
> unmarshalled  into  a  Java object. (I'm  using  Castor-XML  for
> this.)

Isn't it  just another pom.xml?   Do we  really need to  write yet
another XML schema?

> Writing  some   Eclipse  plugin  in   order  to  get   a  visual
> interface,  shouldn't be  too difficult  as it  can collect  the
> same  information  as  the  content of  XML  file  would  be. Of
> course  the Eclipse  plugin can  directly  call the  API of  the
> deployer-core. For  now I've  stopped development  as I  have to
> completly  understand what  the contract  of blocks  will be. As
> soon as I know this, I will finish the deployer-core.

What is  the advantage  of calling  the API  directly?  We  need a
persistent storage to keep the blocks selection anyway.

> If you need/want to know more, just let me know! I don't know if
> you have Eclipse plugin-development experience, but setting up a
> project that does a simple deploy would be very helpful.

Designing this plugin  should be feasible, I think  we could reuse
part of [1]Lepido that helps to handle XML documents in an Eclipse
plugin.
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/