cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: src/webapp/WEB-INF/entities
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:58:37 GMT
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> * David Crossley:
> > Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> >
> > > I  would  like  to  know  what  purpose  serves  the  existing
> > > resources  in webapp/WEB-INF/entities?   I know  that one  can
> > > setup a catalog for resolving  entities, but I'm talking about
> > > all the stuff: DTDs, schemas, etc.   Is it really useful for a
> > > mean web application?
> >
> > The configuration stuff is definitely necessary.
>
> What stuff to be precise?

The entities/catalog and the entry in cocoon.xconf

> > Many of the resources are  probably not necessary.  For example,
> > the  document-v*.dtd etc.  were needed  when we  had the  Cocoon
> > documentation  packaged   with  the  webapp  and   generated  by
> > Cocoon. That  has all  been ripped  out so  probably don't  need
> > them.
>
> OK so we can remove them.
>
> > > In the README, there is a message that I don't understand:
> > >
> > > ??Please keep  these resources in sync  with the authoritative
> > > stuff at Forrest.??
> >
> > The  DTDs started  life at  Cocoon, then  Forrest took  over the
> > maintenance. With the documentation  situation that is mentioned
> > above, we did need to keep these synchronised.
>
> So we can remove this comment in the README file?

Yes.

> > > I'm proposing to add a build option to avoid copying all these
> > > often-unnecessary resources.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> >
> > Perhaps better to remove the stuff  that we don't need.  I would
> > suggest to leave the ISO*.pen entity sets which are often needed
> > by applications.
>
> No problem  if it  is needed  by a few  applications, but  we must
> optionally avoid copying them.

Why must we?

> > The entities/web-app_2_3.dtd might be needed.
>
> Webapp runs without it, I hope  we are not issuing an HTTP request
> to Sun's website everytime ;)

Did you check? ngrep.sf.net helps ... 'sudo ngrep dtd'

> > The  entities/catalog-demo/  is  needed  by  some  of  the  core
> > samples.
>
> So we don't have to copy them if exclude.samples has been set?

True. That will save 3k.

> Anyway, we are able to run our application without this "entities"
> directory.  So I think we should allow to optionally avoid to copy
> those  resources.  Let's  decide what  is the  best name  for this
> option, maybe this is already the exclude.documentation option?

No they are not related to documentation. The entity resolver
is needed whenever a source xml file declares a DTD.
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/catalog.html

Often people do not realise that they need it.
They are requesting DTDs on every parse and could
speed up their application.

I think that it is a core facility that is often needed.
Why do you want to be rid of it? There is not really any
overhead, is there.

-David