cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: src/webapp/WEB-INF/entities
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:15:56 GMT
* David Crossley:

> Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
> > I  would  like  to  know  what  purpose  serves  the  existing
> > resources  in webapp/WEB-INF/entities?   I know  that one  can
> > setup a catalog for resolving  entities, but I'm talking about
> > all the stuff: DTDs, schemas, etc.   Is it really useful for a
> > mean web application?
>
> The configuration stuff is definitely necessary.

What stuff to be precise?

> Many of the resources are  probably not necessary.  For example,
> the  document-v*.dtd etc.  were needed  when we  had the  Cocoon
> documentation  packaged   with  the  webapp  and   generated  by
> Cocoon. That  has all  been ripped  out so  probably don't  need
> them.

OK so we can remove them.

> > In the README, there is a message that I don't understand:
> >
> > ??Please keep  these resources in sync  with the authoritative
> > stuff at Forrest.??
>
> The  DTDs started  life at  Cocoon, then  Forrest took  over the
> maintenance. With the documentation  situation that is mentioned
> above, we did need to keep these synchronised.

So we can remove this comment in the README file?

> > I'm proposing to add a build option to avoid copying all these
> > often-unnecessary resources.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Perhaps better to remove the stuff  that we don't need.  I would
> suggest to leave the ISO*.pen entity sets which are often needed
> by applications.

No problem  if it  is needed  by a few  applications, but  we must
optionally avoid copying them.

> The entities/web-app_2_3.dtd might be needed.

Webapp runs without it, I hope  we are not issuing an HTTP request
to Sun's website everytime ;)

> The  entities/catalog-demo/  is  needed  by  some  of  the  core
> samples.

So we don't have to copy them if exclude.samples has been set?

Anyway, we are able to run our application without this "entities"
directory.  So I think we should allow to optionally avoid to copy
those  resources.  Let's  decide what  is the  best name  for this
option, maybe this is already the exclude.documentation option?
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/