cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: src/webapp/WEB-INF/entities
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:00:49 GMT
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:

> I would like to know what purpose serves the existing resources in
> webapp/WEB-INF/entities?  I know that one can setup a catalog for
> resolving entities, but I'm talking about all the stuff: DTDs,
> schemas, etc.  Is it really useful for a mean web application?

The configuration stuff is definitely necessary.

Many of the resources are probably not necessary.
For example, the document-v*.dtd etc. were needed when
we had the Cocoon documentation packaged with the webapp
and generated by Cocoon. That has all been ripped out
so probably don't need them.

> In the README, there is a message that I don't understand:
>
> ??Please keep these resources in sync with the authoritative stuff
> at Forrest.??

The DTDs started life at Cocoon, then Forrest took over
the maintenance. With the documentation situation that
is mentioned above, we did need to keep these synchronised.

> I'm proposing to add a build option to avoid copying all these
> often-unnecessary resources.
>
> WDYT?

Perhaps better to remove the stuff that we don't need.
I would suggest to leave the ISO*.pen entity sets
which are often needed by applications.

The entities/w3c/svg*.dtd might be needed, i don't know.

The entities/web-app_2_3.dtd might be needed.

The entities/catalog-demo/ is needed by some of
the core samples.

-David