cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: svn commit: r367382 - in /cocoon/trunk/lib: core/jetty-jmx-5.1.8.jar core/mx4j-3.0.1.jar core/mx4j-jmx-3.0.1.jar jars.xml
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:03:12 GMT

Leszek Gawron wrote:

> The problem is archetype is not good in cases when you manage lots of
> projects because it's merely a template. If you put web.xml into your
> archetype it will surely be outdated in a year. If you just xpatch the
> current version than you have no such problem. I resigned from copying
> any cocoon resource into my project because that brought a lot of
> problems. Gosh it was a nightmare to synchronize cforms resources before
> they were put into .jar file. In this case the solution was quite simple
> as the resources are easily extendable and they do not have to be
> changed. With other cocoon resources it is not that nice.

The archetype functionality we are seeing today is really only a useable
alpha version of what it eventually will become. If you'ld like to see
certain features added then we should either provide them ourselves or
ping the maven guys about it. I can imagine us extending the current
archetype with our own one that is able to xpatch xml files and update
an existing archetype with new files.

Jorg