cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: [M10N] Time to finish
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:58:13 GMT

Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> It is time to finish the Mavenization. Jorg, others, what is left to do?
> We need a todo list so that we all can help finish it.

I've lined out the (IMO) outstanding stuff here [1].

As said later in the thread, it depends on how far you want to take
this. m2 has been able to compile and (somewhat) package core for months
now.

My hesitation in pushing this forward mainly lies in the fact that it's
a change that affects *everybody*, and the less you know about maven the
more you'll perceive yourself being affected. I thought that waiting a
bit longer would give ppl more the chance to get up to speed with m2 in
general.

> Jorg, you did some experimentation with flattening the structure, what
> was the result?

It makes it much easier to manage, maintain and oversee the maven build
process. The experiment was very positive, you can still check out the
flat layout in the whiteboard and play around with it [2]. The benefits
towards componentisation are well known and accepted by everyone. In
short, i don't see any reason to keep the old structure.

If someone gives me the green light (again) and people are not afraid of
a bit of a bumpy ride in trunk for a while then I can start flattening
trunk *today* (as in __now__). Core, tests, mocks and a few of the more
used blocks are obvious candidates. We can decide about the blocks that
are externalized from branch later. Ofcourse I'll document the "moving a
block to the flat structure" process as well as i go along.

Regards
Jorg

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/59180
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/57694