cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M10N
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:01:11 GMT

I've skimmed lots of code and am now hepefully more up-to-date as I was
when writing the original mail.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:52:18 +0100
> From: Reinhard Poetz <reinhard@apache.org>
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Re: M10N
>
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>  On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>> >  Of course it's possible to edit the wiring.xml but I would (will)
>> >  recommend
>>
>>  Editing wiring.xml? I may now be totally wrong but I've understud that the
>>  wiring.xml is a generated file by the deployer (and the deployer-plugin
>>  uses the deployer). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> yes, the wiring.xml is written by the deployer, but (usually) not directly
> editid by the developer.

Yes, I've seen that

>> >  using the deployer as it will do validation, auto-wiring, ...
>>

>>  Actually I think I'm quite confused about all those descriptors described
>>  in our Daisy and what the actual code looks like.
>>
>>  pom.xml
>>    - for Maven build
>>    - used by deployer-plugin to resolve dependencies(?)
>
> pom.xml contains the necessary (usual) Java libraries and all blocks that
> contain Java code. At deployment time pom.xml is only used to get usual Java
> libraries (not blocks).

Ok.

>>  block.xml
>>    - describes a block (components, sitemap, properties)
>>    - is used by blocks framework
>
> and used by the deployer to read default values for connections and
> properties

Yup.

>>  block-deploy.xml
>>    - defines block dependencies for deployer(-plugin)
>>    - supplies additional information (i.e. values for block properties)
>>    - is used by deployer-plugin to create the wiring.xml (?)
>
> block-deploy.xml describes which blocks you want to install and which
> implementations you want to use for the requirements. As block.xml already
> knows the default block, it can support auto-wiring. The result is the
> wiring.xml.

Ok.

>>  wiring.xml
>>    - configures a Cocoon app concerning block relationship, mount point,
>>      etc.
>
> and is only for internal use

Yes.

>>  Please correct if I'm wrong.
>>
>>  I'm not quite sure the difference between block-deploy.xml and wiring.xml.
>>  Is it that wiring.xml is the sum of all block-deploy.xml and their
>>  connections?
>
> The block deployer could support this but not the first release ;-)

I see now.

>>  Can you describe how you see all those descriptors look like
>>  for our super-sample-block (collection of all block samples) will look
>>  like?
>
> <deploy>
>   <block
>     id="ctemplate-samples"
>     urn="org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-template-samples:1.0.0"/>
>   <block
>     id="cforms-samples"
>     urn="org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-forms-samples:1.0.0"/>
>
>  [all other sample blocks]
>
> </deploy>

Yes, I would have come to this now myself, too.

> The deployer supports auto-wiring, which means that all required blocks will
> be automatically deployed and added to wiring.xml.
>
> I hope that I can provide a first useable version of the
> deployer-maven-plugin by the end of the week so that you (and others) can try
> it out and that we find a balance between what should be configureable and
> what not, which and how many configuration files we want, what they actually
> configure and how they relate to each other.

Ahem.. I was working on the plugin for the simple-deploy goal. Are we
stepping on each others toes?

What is the <cocoon> element in the block-deploy.xml
for and how should the simple-deploy goal satisfy that.

- --
Giacomo Pati