cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <>
Subject Re: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of view
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:50:27 GMT

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:12:25 -0500
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi <>
> Subject: Re: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of view
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>  My final concern in this will be that Cocoon can be used as a platform
>>  (not just a framework) to host an arbitrary number of independant
>>  applications maintainable by the set of tools we develop/deliver here for
>>  deployment of such application and management of the Cocoon instance.
> There is a natural tendency for people to isolate independent services to
> that damage in one doesn't affect the other.
> It can be seen in clusters, OSs, JVMs, webapps and now blocks.
> I think it's not a bad thing that people can host two different things in the
> same cocoon (if they have memory issues, for example, it's a good thing), but
> if not, they have all a range of choices to do otherwise and I'm sure we
> target a user base that knows about all these anyway.

The former should not exclude the latter. That's my concern.

I've seen all combinations of deployment scenarios. From a blade with
just a servlet-engine hosting one single application (servlet context)
to gigger machines hosting several servlet context (clustered as well as
hot standby with replication mechanisms all over).

- --
Giacomo Pati
Otego AG, Switzerland -
Orixo, the XML business alliance -