cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of view
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:00:02 GMT

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:47:43 +0100
> From: Reinhard Poetz <reinhard@apache.org>
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of view
>

> As mentioned in a mail a couple of days ago, I've started to work on the
> block
> deployment mechanism. This forced me to think a lot about how I (and
> hopefully others) want to develop Cocoon 2.2 applications.
>
> I wrote two tutorials that guide a developer step by step through the process
> of
>
>  - creating a block[1] and
>  - creating a web application that uses blocks[2].
>
> At the time of writing this, the functionality described in both documents
> has
> only been implemented partly. Nevertheless I publish them at this early stage
> in order to get feedback from you to make the first contact with Cocoon 2.2
> as simple as possible.
>
> This should also give everybody the chance of getting involved without
> having to dig into the code (though I would be more than pleased if somebody
> does).
>
> I have also committed the IDE and build tool independant block deployer[3]
> and a skeleton for the block deployer mojos[4] that will wrap the general
> block deployer.
>
> [1] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/796.html
> [2] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/797.html

The above two tutorials seems to be a good start. Now I think I need to
get in touch with the two below to play through the samples in the
tutorials above to get where to start extending/implementing what's
still missing.

My final concern in this will be that Cocoon can be used as a platform
(not just a framework) to host an arbitrary number of independant
applications maintainable by the set of tools we develop/deliver here
for deployment of such application and management of the Cocoon
instance.

> [3] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/deployer/
> [4] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/deployer-maven-plugin/

- --