cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <geoff.how...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rejuvenating the webdav block
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:22:14 GMT
On 1/4/06, Max Pfingsthorn <m.pfingsthorn@hippo.nl> wrote:

> Geoff Howard [mailto:geoff.howard@gmail.com] wrote:

> > > The eventcache is needed for more advanced caching. The
> > components need to know about it to be able to construct the
> > right Validity objects for Source.getValidity(). We found out
> > that eventcaching is really key for good performance of the
> > website, so I would consider it a good kind of dependency. Of
> > course, the eventcaching block depending (indirectly) on the
> > database block is a bit silly.
> >
> > Yes, these dependencies were always somewhat painful - as we discussed
> > before [1].  It's only the samples that cause the dependency on the
> > database block IIRC.  There was some work being done on samples
> > dependencies I think - or were samples being separated into samples
> > blocks perhaps?  That would cure this.
> >
> > I see you've implemented some of this in webdav - did you manage to
> > avoid a dependency on the database block somehow?
>
> Yes, well, at least directly. The webdav block now depends only on repository and eventcache,
not on database. However, eventcache still depends on database. I was thinking about the same
thing, meaning to make a new block for the eventcache samples. That has been done for other
blocks and would take care it, as you said.
> However, I don't know if its worth it in the 2.1 branch. Compiling a few more classes
doesn't hurt too much for now. It would make more sense and be worth it for 2.2 as it is supposed
to be released semi-soon, right?

Oh, I see.  Afraid I haven't been able to follow the 2.2 release
discussions, but I gather it is coming soon - definitely agree it'd be
worth it there.

Geoff