cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [CRAZY IDEA] sitemaps in javascript
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:07:24 GMT
Jens Maukisch wrote:
> Hi,
>> Honestly, many people already do too much in the sitemap, and are
>> eventing creative but frightening constructs that would be way cleaner
>> and maintainable if written with a real programming language like
>> JavaScript.
> And you think its getting better if we open the door even wider
> instead of restricting more an providing cleaner ways?

Yes, because people invented these constructs because they needed it,
and because the sitemap language wasn't expressive enough to implement
their needs in a clean way. So adding more restrictions will IMO only
lead to the invention of even weirder ways to circumvent them...

>> I heard from this "someone" that a JS editor has never been in the scope
>> of Lepido. Especially as one is provided with WebTools, although less
>> featured than Interakt's plugin.
> Yes, but a nice and usable sitemap-editor is certainly in the scope of Lepido, right?

Experience showed that the sitemap language is actually very simple, and
that people quickly find it more productive to write their sitemap with
a content-assist editor. In this regard, the WebTools XML editor
auto-learning feature does quite a good job once a sitemap contains one
instance of each of the base instructions (match, generate, transform, etc).

Now, to speak clearly, I'm thinking about closing Lepido at Eclipse,
first because for a number of reasons on which I could expand it didn't
attract people, and because the future of Cocoon is so unclear to me
that investing in the development of a tool that may quickly be obsolete
looks like wasted energy.