cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] The environment abstraction, part II
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:28:31 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Agree, but as people (you included) had valid reasons for not going that
>> far in 2.2, I suggest something less radical this time, as I want to get
>> rid of the problem of calling servlets from within Cocoon already in 2.2.

> Yes, true, I had reasons against doing radical changes in 2.2 and I
> still have them.

I know, that is the reason for my "extension proposal", I need that
change now. A radical change later is nothing that I can use right now.

And the extension proposal should AFAICS keep back compability as we
only will add methods to the interfaces (we have already added other
methods to these interfaces in trunk).

> For me these things make more sense for a higher
> version than 2.2. I would love to get 2.2 out today with the main
> changes being ECM++ and the Maven build.

I'm not so certain about this anymore as you can see in my answer to
Upayavira. But go ahead and write a release plan, so that we can discuss
what it will mean.

>> Yes, by letting our Request etc interfaces extend their http servlet
>> counterparts we can always assume that Cocoon is executed in a servlet
>> environment, (given that the actual environment provide rich enough
>> implementations of course).

> No, inheriting is imho not enough. What about servlet listener or
> filters that might be need by some blocks? Those things only work in a
> real servlet environment. And there might be other things.

AFAIK you can't call filters and listeners from within servlets, so they
are at the servlet container level, and I don't see how a block would
need them. A block could certainly need something that a listener put in
a context attribute or that a filter did to the request, but that is
another question.

/Daniel