cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The environment abstraction, part II
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:27:11 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hmm... Not sure if I misunderstood or not. I'm ok to have a CLI-based
> implementation of the servlet API, but having the Cocoon CLI launching
> an internal Jetty for this really seems wrong to me. Forrest is already
> a large beast, now if you say that generating a site requires to start a
> servlet engine, many people with run away for something probably less
> powerful but much more light.

Then let them run. No, seriously, we can be all to everyone. This is the
flexibility syndrom in action. From a user pov, where is the difference
in starting the current cli and starting a cli which internally fires up
jetty and uses http? It's transparent - but it makes the implementation
of Cocoon much easier.

> Now Cocoon is much more than a web framework, as we discussed in the
> "necessary mutation" thread:
> - a servlet
> - a component container
> - a controller
> - a pipeline engine
> - many blocks built on top of one of the above.

So, if someone asks you what Cocoon is, you say the above? Lock at the
first sentence at cocoon.apache.org: "Apache Cocoon is a web development
framework built around the concepts of separation of concerns and
component-based web development."
Now, you could argue that the docs are out-dated, but I think the point
is that Cocoon has always been marketed as a web framework - and that is
the area we should focus on. Everything else, being it cli or portlet
env or whatever can be built somehow "on top" of the web framework.

> This uses the servlet API, as calling Cocoon from Struts is done using
> the request dispatcher:
>   request.getRequestDispatcher("/path/to/cocoon").forward(request, response)

Yupp.

Now, if I'm the only one thinking that removing the whole env
abstraction makes sense, I'll shut up for now.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/