cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <>
Subject Re: [RT] The environment abstraction, part II
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:27:11 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Hmm... Not sure if I misunderstood or not. I'm ok to have a CLI-based
> implementation of the servlet API, but having the Cocoon CLI launching
> an internal Jetty for this really seems wrong to me. Forrest is already
> a large beast, now if you say that generating a site requires to start a
> servlet engine, many people with run away for something probably less
> powerful but much more light.
Then let them run. No, seriously, we can be all to everyone. This is the
flexibility syndrom in action. From a user pov, where is the difference
in starting the current cli and starting a cli which internally fires up
jetty and uses http? It's transparent - but it makes the implementation
of Cocoon much easier.

> Now Cocoon is much more than a web framework, as we discussed in the
> "necessary mutation" thread:
> - a servlet
> - a component container
> - a controller
> - a pipeline engine
> - many blocks built on top of one of the above.
So, if someone asks you what Cocoon is, you say the above? Lock at the
first sentence at "Apache Cocoon is a web development
framework built around the concepts of separation of concerns and
component-based web development."
Now, you could argue that the docs are out-dated, but I think the point
is that Cocoon has always been marketed as a web framework - and that is
the area we should focus on. Everything else, being it cli or portlet
env or whatever can be built somehow "on top" of the web framework.

> This uses the servlet API, as calling Cocoon from Struts is done using
> the request dispatcher:
>   request.getRequestDispatcher("/path/to/cocoon").forward(request, response)

Now, if I'm the only one thinking that removing the whole env
abstraction makes sense, I'll shut up for now.