cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The environment abstraction, part II
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:08:56 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Sorry, what do you mean by "web framework"? Isn't it already one? Or do
> you mean "servlet"?

Cocoon is currently a mixture. It's mostly used as a web framework
through a servlet, but for example if you're using the cli you don't
have a web framework or a web server or something like that.
Now, because of this, we have the environment abstraction. And I think
we can remove that completly making Cocoon just a web framework which
always has a servlet environment including listeners and filters etc.

>> Now, we have currently two other environments: cli and portlets.
>
> There's also BackgroundEnvironment for background jobs.
True, but as that one is running "inside" Cocoon it shouldn't cause
problems either.

> Hmm... Struts and Cocoon are on the same level, as they handle the
> request. Spring (its container part) is more to be compared with our
> ECM. So although setting up ECM as a context listener would make sense,
> Cocoon itself must remain a servlet to be able to handle requests.
Yes, it can remain a servlet (although it might not need to be, but
that's another topic). Why not, for example, calling pdf generation from
let's say Struts?

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/