cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [blocks] Changing component strategy
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:16:44 GMT
Sylvain Wallez skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> A skin block is basically a factory, and a wiring is an instruction to
>> ask the factory for a component, give it its deploy time configuration
>> and a unique id and to register the differently configured instances
>> under the different ids in the global service registry. So the above
>> scenario should not be a problem.
>
> Great!
>
>> Now, in any case, we can't keep the scheme for component lookup that I
>> have implemented. So we need something different. And if you don't
>> like the OSGi inspired that I would like to go for, we need other
>> suggestions.
>
> If the scenario where we have several implementations of a block
> interface (e.g. skin)

This is solved by agree before hand which id implementations of this
"interface" should be registered under. Now, this use case is rather
abstract IMO, as we have not developed any way to describe the
"interface" of a skin. So it will be hard to make sure that two
implementations of the same skin interface are interchangeable. But this
problem is of course completely separated from the choice of component
lookup strategy.

> and several instances of a given block (e.g.
> CSS-Skin) with different configurations can be handled with a flat
> central registry,

Using the servlet pattern described above, i.e. using a wiring file as
we have decided long time ago.

> then I'm totally fine with it. Go for it!

Great!

/Daniel